Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pe11e

When I was a rookie...

4 posts in this topic

I started remembering my first steps in FSX few years back,quite funny stuff I must admit.

After some simple GA flying with default Maule and C172, I decided to start flying some default jetliners, and later on some routes with my first ever purchase - Flight1 ATR 72.

These were some of my quirks:

- using reversers to start taxing from the gate, lol. laugh.png Later on when I found about towing trucks and pushback, and I thought "what kind of stupid pushback thing is this? Reversers are better!". laugh.png

- using VFR flight plans for all flights, even commercial flights with 737 and ATR! Left/right downwind with 737 is not a easy thing, I tell ya. LMAO.gif So literally every descent and approach was full manual, at least I learned to fly in a hard way. Also, ATC is not willing to help when you are flying VFR flightplans, I calculated TOD's manually, and yeah, sometimes I was at 10 000ft at 20nm from the airport. Passengers didn't loved these rollercoaster rides.

- never used autopilot's GPS/LOC modes, means I was fiddling with HDG knob during whole flight to follow flightplan. ph34r.png

- never used ILS because I didn't knew about it at all! I remember one approach and landing on LOWW with 500m visibility, that was the most frightening experience in FSX ever. Missed the runway by far and crashed, oh well. I mean, how can you land the 737 or any other jetliner using default GPS panel and lining the airplane with the feather. Yeah, you read it well, I knew about the ILS feathers but didn't knew about ILS, amazing. laugh.png

I'm sure there were more quirks, but can't remember them all.

I'm sure we would love to hear how you guys started your rookie days in FSX.

When I first started out I did not know that ILS existed. I thought that IFR was very difficult and I only knew how to fly direct VFR flights. I also would only fly the FSX Mission from LAS to Area 51 because almost everything was done for me. I then evolved from learning from some people I had met in FSX multiplayer who helped me out and taught me some stuff and became acquainted with some people that I can call best friends.  

And what is even more awesome - how I fly now with an Aerosoft Airbus + FS2CREW voice, and how I flew few years ago. Difference is massive! Never thought that programming FMC is fun. :) Never thought that I will be able to finish a flight with FS2CREW voice edition! And you know what? Immersion and experience is pretty amazing! I felt pretty much like a captain, sharing a cockpit with a human. When FS2CREW Airbus edition was released, I thought "why in the world I need this when Aribus have checklist and FO?". Even with that default featue Aerosoft Airbus is amazing and very immersive, but with FS2CREW with voice control is another dimension. You can even talk to FA to bring you coffee or lunch! I can talk now abou SIDs nad STARs, flight plans, but I will leave that for later. :)

I started remembering my first steps in FSX few years back,quite funny stuff I must admit.

After some simple GA flying with default Maule and C172, I decided to start flying some default jetliners, and later on some routes with my first ever purchase - Flight1 ATR 72.

These were some of my quirks:

- using reversers to start taxing from the gate, lol. laugh.png Later on when I found about towing trucks and pushback, and I thought "what kind of stupid pushback thing is this? Reversers are better!". laugh.png

- using VFR flight plans for all flights, even commercial flights with 737 and ATR! Left/right downwind with 737 is not a easy thing, I tell ya. LMAO.gif So literally every descent and approach was full manual, at least I learned to fly in a hard way. Also, ATC is not willing to help when you are flying VFR flightplans, I calculated TOD's manually, and yeah, sometimes I was at 10 000ft at 20nm from the airport. Passengers didn't loved these rollercoaster rides.

- never used autopilot's GPS/LOC modes, means I was fiddling with HDG knob during whole flight to follow flightplan. ph34r.png

- never used ILS because I didn't knew about it at all! I remember one approach and landing on LOWW with 500m visibility, that was the most frightening experience in FSX ever. Missed the runway by far and crashed, oh well. I mean, how can you land the 737 or any other jetliner using default GPS panel and lining the airplane with the feather. Yeah, you read it well, I knew about the ILS feathers but didn't knew about ILS, amazing. laugh.png

I'm sure there were more quirks, but can't remember them all.

I'm sure we would love to hear how you guys started your rookie days in FSX.

Using reversers at the gate for pushback actually is a real procedure, so you weren't wrong. ;)

All in all, your methods weren't actually rookie maneuvers, you just learned the long and hard way. :)

-Vic