Ripcord

Cuba in P3D v2.3

38 posts in this topic

Here I am referring to MUHA, MUVR, MUCC, MUCL, and MUCU, all of which were and still are 5 great sceneries in FSX.

They install fine into P3D v2.3 and they show up, but they are missing some basic objects, such as the terminal buildings.  Smaller buildings and vehicles still appear.

Here is an example shot taken at MUVR.

mxp9A.png

The scenery does not require a total rework. In fact I wonder if it might only require a recompilation or conversion of the main models into P3D format? I know there is a free tool over at FSDeveloper that does this, however I have not tried to use it on any payware sceneries. It is odd that some buildings do show up while others do not. So maybe not all the modelling was done using the same technology.

To be clear -- nobody ever promised or advertised that these products would work in P3D v2. I get that. Taxi2Gate does NOT OWE ME ANYTHING, and I am NOT DEMANDING anything. So I am asking here in a friendly way. It is a complement on your work, and a small request -- perhaps something that can accomplished without a great deal effort.

Short of that, I would not paying a nominal fee to get an update/compatibility patch for these airports. That would be fair if there is some real work that needs to be done, retexturing models, etc.

Please consider what I hope is a reasonable request.

Love your work guys, please keep it up.

Cheers

Actually I think so too. Today I learned how to work with the latest version of ModelConverterX from FSDeveloper and I was able to modify some libraries and get a couple of these Cuba sceneries fixed. It took me half a day to learn this tool, but your guys could have done it while drinking your coffee in one hour.

Note that I was able to use the MCX tool to convert the library files, and this fixed 4 of the 5 airports in Cuba. MUVR is still a problem in P3D V2.3. It would be super if you guys could just take a few minutes and recompile one of the lib files in that scenery and offer that as a patch or and update. Of course you are not expected to do so, but it sure would be a great thing.

Ripcord,

Your post has given me a glimmer of hope. I ditched FSX months ago, and am a happy P3D V2 user. However... I too, am having issues with certain buildings not showing up in freeware scenery. I sure would be grateful if you could take a few minutes to explain the steps you took to make the sceneries compatable in terms of missing objects. I have downloaded and tinkered with the MCX tool, but quite honestly, Its like looking at quantum physics to me. Mind helping out a fellow simmer with the steps?

OK first off, I am no expert and I just learned by trial and error. So I am just sharing what I did, which may not be correct.

Next, I did obtain anybody's permission to convert these files, so I did this just see 'what is possible'. So T2G might decide that this is against the EULA, I don't know, since the files are being modified for use in P3D and not FSX. I doubt very much that this is a violation of any kind, but I am not an expert here. CERTAINLY I am NOT sharing any files with anybody, or engaging in anything unethical.

Now if you have not already done so, go get the tool. It is version 1.4, which Arno refers to as 'not the most stable release' but other seem to think it is pretty rock solid. Anyway this version adds in P3Dv2 format, so you need that version of this tool. Here is the link.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/modelconverterx.92/

There is no installation. Just unzip to to any folder.

Next you want to identify the files of the airport scenery you wish to modify. That means testing it 'as is' to see how it works in P3D v2. Sometimes you will find that the airport and photo real ground coverage shows up just like it would in FSX, however the buildings/structure objects are not showing up. That is what we will use our tool on.

You are looking for the object libraries, in bgl format, and not the placement/layout bgls. If you reorder your scenery folder by size, you will find that they are going to be the biggest files, right after the large photoreal coverage files. Let's open up MUHA and run thru this one as an example.

Here you can see the MUHA scenery older. I only modified 3 files here, and you can see them highlighted. Note that I arranged the files by size.

H4crj.png

So the 3 object library files that I decided I wanted to convert here are:

MUHA-LIB-2012.bgl

MUHA-LIB-02.bgl

MUHA-LIB-JETWAYS.bgl

There were quite a few smaller libraries but I decided that those objects were showing up fine and so it wasn't really necessary for me to convert them. You may decide to go ahead and convert those as well.

OK, now we will do them all ONE FILE AT A TIME. Forget about using the batch converter functionality.

Since I have already done the three library files above, I will use MUHA-LIB-CARS.bgl as my example and convert that object library as well.

OK now start by running MODELCONVERTERX.exe. You will be looking at this interface shown below:

IqnSk.png

See my cursor is in the upper left hand corner, where it says IMPORT. Pretty straightforward so far, isn't it? Import your first object library BGL file, which in our example here will be MUHA-LIB-CARS.bgl

When you hit open, you will see it reading and importing the objects in the library -- if no textures show up, don't worry, it might still work fine.

AOi5a.png

There will be any tidy little DONE IMPORTING messages or anything like that. But when it stops, and you are able to now hit the EXPORT SCENERY Button, then that is all you need to do. There are really no over conversion functions required, at least not that I can tell (I'm no expert here, remember). So just hit EXPORT Scenery.

Here is the important part -- rename the file, do not overwrite your original. I just added in _P3D on the end of the file name, to make it simple as a naming convention.

Then select your format as P3D v2 BGL file. Pretty simple right?

xmBTz.png

Then it will run thru all the files and convert it and recompile.

When it is done, you will see it say PARSE COMPLETE.

P2XvN.png

If you do not see that, then it did not recompile, and something went wrong.

NEXT you want to remove the original file. Don't delete, just cut/paste it to another location outside the scenery folder, where you can find it again if you need it.

Repeat this process for all the relevant object library files that you can find, like I did with these three below:

MUHA-LIB-2012_P3D

MUHA-LIB-02_P3D

MUHA-LIB-JETWAYS_P3D

I lost the files and will need to start over.

I found found that the best way is to decompile the library, and convert the models one by one, using a batch convert, to convert the textures.  Then when you have P3D v2 compatible models, you can easily create a new library in P3D v2.

I managed it once, I think, but I have not gotten good at it.

Guys, I will share the converted library files ONLY WITH PERSMISSION of Taxi-to-Gate, and they may or may not agree to that.

I lost the files and will need to start over.

I found found that the best way is to decompile the library, and convert the models one by one, using a batch convert, to convert the textures.  Then when you have P3D v2 compatible models, you can easily create a new library in P3D v2.

I managed it once, I think, but I have not gotten good at it.

Guys, I will share the converted library files ONLY WITH PERSMISSION of Taxi-to-Gate, and they may or may not agree to that.

Hi,

Could you please mail me those files too?

Thank you.

AR Sotolongo

Hi Ripcord, I love MUHA and also have noticed the lack of buildings and other objects with this well done airport for P3d.  If you have the converted files handy could you kindly send them to me?  Looks like T2G is ok with that if only sent via email directly so here is my email:  s1vannah@hotmail.com.

I do hope T2G can update MUHA for P3Dv as with the reopening of diplomatic relations this is gonna grow in Sim popularity.  And a version 2 would cause me to reopen my wallet and buy it once again, even if it is at a new price.  

Cheers and thanks so much.  

S1vannah in Tampa!

I am reviewing my work here in P3D 2.5 and I will be preparing zip files, which are nothing more than rework libraries (using MCX as described above).  I will be sending them out sometime next week, probably not before Wednesday.  PM me your email here.

Sorry for the long delay.  I tend to work on a handful of mini-projects and I have circled my way back to this now and I want to finish it up.

Note:  I just flew and I got them all converted, more or less, except MUVR.  That one is a problem, as I have the terminal showing up it's side -- not something that can be ignored.  So MUVR stays back for more testing, but the other four can be sent out.

There are some shimmering textures on buildings here and there.  Sorry, that is probably going to be something we'll have to live with until the developer decides to rework the scenery at some point.

Took all day but I got MUVR sorted.  Well get these files packaged up tomorrow, with decent instructions for installation. 

If you want them, PM your email address to me. 

OK two guys sent over their email addresses, and I've sent 4 of the 5 to them.  Doing a bit more testing on MUVR. 

I'll not be uploading and sending these on request after this, so you got a couple more days.

Hi Ripcord, I am one of the folks who was looking for the MUHA building conversions and I had posted my email address in the above original request.  I never received them, if you could resend please again to s1vannah@hotmail.com or greghesterberg@me.com. Maybe it went into my spam folder and i never saw them.   I would be very grateful to you if i could get a working MUHA.  Not worried about the other Cuban airports.  My phone number is 513.304.5901 if you want to discuss.  Cheers and thanks for your kind efforts.

R, Greg Hesterberg

Tampa, Florida

Hi Ripcord brother ,I wanted to first thank you for all this hard effort you have put into this issue,Im a cuban and I love flying those airports ,do you think you could send me those files to get those fixed please? 

My email is :thecubandany@live.com 

Thank you sr 

Hi Ripcord!!! . Thank you very much for your contribution. Could you spend me MUHA file, MUCU, MUVR and MMMY? 

My email is: pablo130ar2@hotmail.com

Thank you very much!!!!!!

Would T2G consider finally updating these?  I really have no intention of responding to these requests in a timely manner, if at all...  As a minimum could we post the updated libraries somewhere for folks to download?