Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pe11e

Boeing vs. Airbus - Possible Facts

10 posts in this topic

I am an Airbus fan, I won't lie. Cockpit layout, flows and procedures are far more suited for me. Airbus logic is also more suited for beginners. Systems managing is simpler (for example packs management). After endless flights with Project Airbus A320/321 two years ago, I switched to PMDG NGX last year, and finally this month I decided to relive Aerosoft A319/320, just to make sure that I spent the money wisely, since FPS is worse than in NGX which had a negative effect on me. Of course, after several test flight I fell in love with it pretty much, immersion is fantastic. One thing I like more about the Boeing is how they look. I mean, 737 is prettier than A320, 757 is by far the sexiest plane out there, 747 is a beauty, 767 is simple by design but also sexy. A320 is naaah, A330 is ok but nothing spectacular. Only A340 is prettier than 777, if you ask me. 

Now, let me explain more in detail my experience with Boeing planes in FSX. I flew PMDG NGX in the past/this year numerous times, even with fs2crew (not Reboot), I enjoyed the realism and immersion, but I simply couldn't connect to the plane at all, I always felt that I'm in unfriendly (user) environment (cockpit). I tried so hard to like Boeing's cockpit design, but I simply couldn't, especially in 757/767. Display placement in one version of cockpit layout in 757/767 is horrid, especially for use in a flight simulation. ND is behind the yoke and below PFD, making it very difficult to see info if you don't have TrackIR. Even with TrackIR I say it's pain in the a$$ to move your head just to see some primary info on ND. Also, although I know this is on my end, when I finish the flight in NGX, it doesn't feel so realistic and satisfactory, like after every landing in Aerosoft Airbus. I'm using Saitek Flight Yoke when flying Boeings, and Saitek Cyborg joystick on Airbuses and some fighter planes. I mean I've tried to fly NGX with the joystick also, and the feel didn't change, and it's not realistic.

This view is based only on my sim experience. I have some experience in the professional Boeing 737NG simulator with 1:1 cockpit and that's a bit different story (no surprise). Can't lie, the flight feel in 737NG simulator is insanely good, yoke is brutally precise and smooth, sensation when you make turns is awesome. But that's a professional simulator, the sensation and feel is completely different compared to the PMDG NGX in FSX. And I bet if I had the chance to try professional A320 simulator that I would probably like it more, because of the stuff I mentioned in the beginning of the post.

After all, I feel much more confident in the Airbus cockpit, every button, switch or whatever is in its logical place. Never caught myself searching for a button or a switch like I saw the cockpit for a first time. In 737NGX or 757 cockpit, after several flight I couldn't get used to cockpit layout. That issue was far worse in the professional 737NG simulator where I had to move my head and be very fast and proficient to find the button/switch on the overhead panel. After so many PMDG NGX flights, I couldn't find window heat and pitot heat buttons in less than 10 seconds, I was lost lol. So many switches over there, it's so easy to get lost. I'm certain that I will find buttons/switches in the real Airbus cockpit a lot faster. Don't get me wrong, but these are my experiences.

Now a bit different view on this subject, a possible facts. happy.png  My opinion is that the Boeing pilots are more skilled and proficient than Airbus ones. The workload in Boeing cockpits is higher, when some particular failure happens you can solve the issue in different ways, not how the computer is letting you (Airbus), which can be pretty important in serious situations. Of course most of procedures in emergency situations are the same in planes from both manufacturers. In one PilotsEye video, there was a problem with one of the engines, and the FO reached for some kind of manual to find a solution, or to check the severity of a problem. I can't remember when I saw a Boeing pilot reading the manual or whatever in similiar situations, not to even mention emergency ones.  mellow.png That's why I said the Boeing pilots seems to be more skilled and proficient, and I highly respect that.

There is also one side of the story that  says that Boeing planes are more for serious plane lovers, and Airbus is for computer and automation lovers. I could easily agree with that statement. Boeing = old muscle car or an Alfa GTA, driver vs. machine, Airbus = McLaren P1 or similiar, tons of computers to assist the driver.

One thing that is quite interesting is that in driving sims I like much more Alfa GTA or old muscle car than Ferrari Enzo or McLaren P1, complete opposite than in flight simulation.  huh.png But yeah, driving a race car on a track is completely different story than flying a serious tubeliner.

Don't let me hang here alone, share you opinions and experiences! I didn't wrote this pretty long post for vain, I want to hear more from you, and probably I will learn something new. :)

The Boeing V.S. Airbus battle has been going on since before the Coke V.S. Pepsi thing. I'm Boeing 110% of the way. As much as I love a shiny sleek cockpit with three buttons and a joystick, I like to leave that for the private jets. Boeing, as you said, is like the old muscle car. It's cold, gritty, and squeaky. And some people like that! Including me. While some others might prefer a sleek new model car of the year with the big screens, that's  Airbus in this case. 

I grabbed the PMDG 737NGX the month it came out, and it's the most flown plane I have. I know the thing like the back of my hand. Name a place and I can fly ya there to real world procedure. But that wasn't an over-night skill I accumulated. That was after months, if not YEARS of learning. Reading checklists, cross checking manuals, and seeing how others fly the plane. And since every system has its own button piratically, there are so many ways you can fly the plane. From the first switch flipped of the day, to closing the door after a long day of legs, there are so many ways you can fly the plane to your liking. You can chose to fly low, or push it to its operating ceiling, stay slow, or push the 300 KT barrier, you have full control over it. With airbus, I don't feel that same... connection with the plane. I don't own the Airbus X on my computer, but a few of my buds have it and I have taken it up for a spin when I'm over at their place, and I feel like there is only one way you can fly it. I get the feeling that you have to press every button in the same order or else something is wrong, or un realistic. And that is what we ALL want from our sim's. That might be because I haven't logged as many hours in it as my 737, but when I do get the chance to fly it, I feel restricted. I don't have that fictional home cockpit smell I get with the 737. With the 737, I can take my 'seat', throw on the battery and APU and get to work. With the Airbus I need to startup all of the systems and make sure everything isn't glitchy or out dated. I don't know if that is modeled in the Airbus X, but it is a bit a of a nuisance. 

Don't get me wrong, Boeing has its fair share of automated systems that need to be warmed up and calibrated, but I can still control a majority of the plane with switches and buttons. 

Back to the beginning- even after 3- or so years in the NGX, I have grown onto it. It took me 3 years to get here and I'm still learning, and I'm sure if I can grab the Airbus X and fly it for a bit for myself, I would have changed opinions. 

Both Boeing and Airbus are great planes, their cockpit layouts are almost identical between models, with the occasional re arrangement of screens and displays, but for the most part, there is a core element in each plane that attracts a certain kind of pilot. And this goes with all planes. Piper V. Cessna (Cessna), Socata V. Beechcraft, or CRJ V. ERJ, all planes are related in the sense that they all do the same thing, fly from point A to point B. But every plane has its own personality, and unless you're an emotionless fish, you will naturally gravitate towards a cretin kind of plane. May it be glider, prop, jet, or rocket, and that's okay! We're all here to do the same thing, and that is to flip off the laws of physics. 

IDK how I went from the PMDG 737 to physics, but damn that was deep. XD 

<3   -Foxtrot

I'm in the opposite position. I can fly the NGX blind and don't have to search a button. I just know every single step after 3 years of flying it. I can handle nearly all situations with the NGX. Maybe because it's my favourite plane. I simply love the 737-800.

A friend of mine own the aerosoft Airbus X and sometimes when we meet together, we sometimes fly with it. I simply don't get the same connection to the A320 like with the NGX. It may be the lack of system depths with the AS version. Maybe the FSL Bus turns out to be great (maybe in 2 years :D). Don't get me wrong. I don't think the AS Bus is not a good airplane. It IS the best A320 simulation for FSX/P3D out there and for Airbus lovers like you the best thing. 

My mouse always hoveres over the buy button of the aerosoft Airbus X A320, but I can't buy it. I always think that it would be "waste of money" for me. I would like to fly Airbus sometimes like I fly the PMDG 777 sometimes. I like the A320, the 777 and the 747 but I love the 737NGX. 

I know The Boeing better but that's really just a reflection of the fact that Boeing has been well molded in the sim whereas Airbus has historically been poorly represented. The PSS Airbus for FS9 was the first good Airbus that I know of. Now days we have Aersoft and BlackBox so there is no longer an excuse for not learning the Airbus approach to things. I've got it sorted, for the most part. But, I still end up flying The NGX and 777 the most simply because it's what I am used to.

All that said, there is a huge difference in the way Boeing and Airbus approach automaton. Airbus never really lets the pilots have full control of the airplane. Everything is filtered through the autopilot or the fly by wire system. And, Airbus considers this to be the safest way to have their aircraft operated. Boeing has the opposite approach. The automation and fly-by-wire doesn’t really kick in unless you tell it to.

I have a friend that drives the bus for a European airline that used to run The NGX in FSX. He has told me that the bus is much better suited for line flying. And, I don’t doubt him. When it comes to the sim, thou, I prefer The Boeings       

I know The Boeing better but that's really just a reflection of the fact that Boeing has been well molded in the sim whereas Airbus has historically been poorly represented. The PSS Airbus for FS9 was the first good Airbus that I know of. Now days we have Aersoft and BlackBox so there is no longer an excuse for not learning the Airbus approach to things. I've got it sorted, for the most part. But, I still end up flying The NGX and 777 the most simply because it's what I am used to.

All that said, there is a huge difference in the way Boeing and Airbus approach automaton. Airbus never really lets the pilots have full control of the airplane. Everything is filtered through the autopilot or the fly by wire system. And, Airbus considers this to be the safest way to have their aircraft operated. Boeing has the opposite approach. The automation and fly-by-wire doesn’t really kick in unless you tell it to.

I have a friend that drives the bus for a European airline that used to run The NGX in FSX. He has told me that the bus is much better suited for line flying. And, I don’t doubt him. When it comes to the sim, thou, I prefer The Boeings       

Yes, exactly. Boeing has a much better support in flight sims, from PMDG, Qualitywings, CS, iFly, to Flightfactor in X-plane. And that is the biggest reason I decided to stick with Boeing 3 years ago, when I bought NGX and QW 757. This year I decided to try for the Nth time Aerosoft Airbus, and I LOVE IT! Best Airbus for FSX/P3D2 is currently Aerosoft A318/319/320/321 package, and not Airbus X Extended which is an old and outdated product and it's still buggy. Although I agree that Aerosoft Airbus package must be flown strictly by manual and that can be frustrating because it is programmed that way, in the end of every flight I feel fulfilled pretty much, immersion is fantastic. Maybe that's because I've learned to operate A319 in 3 days, and never learned the NGX as I should, and I was in process learning it for months, it is a pretty complex machine and an addon. Maybe, just maaaybe I would be fulfilled too on every end of NGX flight if I succeeded to learn it to the max, like you guys did. I guess I'm not that determined. On top of all I bought FS2CREW button edition for NGX (not reboot), and never completed a flight with it, it is linear completely, if you miss the item the whole flight will fail.

News Update: I'm in LOVE with the NGX! Learned the procedures, AP modes. Using FS2CREW, and the immersion is mesmerizing. The more I fly Boeing, the more I realize how Airbus feels robotic and scripted. I don't know is is Aerosoft's fault, but the freedom in the NGX is awesome.

News Update: I'm in LOVE with the NGX! Learned the procedures, AP modes. Using FS2CREW, and the immersion is mesmerizing. The more I fly Boeing, the more I realize how Airbus feels robotic and scripted. I don't know is is Aerosoft's fault, but the freedom in the NGX is awesome.

At some point I recommand FS2Crew Reboot. The different SOPs and workflows as well as the original Boeing SOP (1) is simply amazing. You will love the NGX when you bring it to perfection. I recommand also some of the videos of youtube from a real NG Pilot called skysurfer007 (https://www.youtube.com/user/skysurfer007/videos). It's a german Pilot for TUIfly (he is talking english in most of his videos) and is going into depth of the NGX (PMDG). 

Attention: He is NOT doing tutorials! 

The best Videos from skysurfer are:

Engine Fire

Thanks for the links. :)

Anyway, I watched few fs2crew Reboot videos on YT, and I don't like it at all. I don't like the new FMC UI, it's complicated. Also, new voices are AWFUL, especially EU female, she sounds unnatural and robotic. First version of NGX fs2crew has very good voice sets, natural speaking, easy menus and UI.

FS2Crew Reboot is very easy to handle. It's not complicated at all. 

However, I have to agree with the EU Voice set. The Captain is good, but the female FO is a bit robotic, like you said. This is a bit annoying. The UK, US and AU Voice sets are grood. The most important is the SOP for airliners. 

Reboot is more detailed, more functions and stuff I guess, but I don't like the UI, looks complicated. Also, you can use only SOP2 with the button edition. I stopped using voice edition because I'm limited when I can use the microphone, and on top of all some phrases I must repeat two or three times, a bit annoying. I found myself almost yelling BEFORE TAKEOFF CHECKLIST for example. :D

The voicesets are absolutely the most important feature in FS2CREW for me, 80% of immersion. When the voices are bad it can kill the immersion completely. Female from the EU voice set just sounds like she is dictating phrases, I don't know.