Sign in to follow this  
iFlysimX

What Would You Upgrade?

Hello All!

Here is my current setup for P3Dv4.1 If you had a budget of ~$400, what would you upgrade? CPU, GPU? 

i7-4770K O/C 4.2 GHz | GeForce GTX 780 | ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 | Samsung 850 1TB SSD | Windows 10 x64 | 28" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor

cpu.thumb.PNG.e4f418cc7d5dee53cf891759fb5699df.PNG

gpu.thumb.PNG.72ab3c200aa4f5f84bce644c5398ac23.PNG

Thanks!

I'd save up a little longer, as the GPU market has been influenced so heavily by cryptocurrency mining to where any GPU I would recommend is far off your 400$ price point. With the Meltdown Kernel bug on Intel I'd also advise you to stay on your old CPU and maybe - rather than upgrading - fiddle with your existing hardware to reach max stable OC's.

P3D has been getting - at least on my system - huge performance increases through increased clockspeeds which is why I would tend to stay with Intel over switching to Ryzen - except of course if the new ones have greater single core performance. For now Intel seems to still be king of the hill in terms of single core performance. 

Also maybe consider using lower GPU settings first, to see what performance you can get out of P3D. In any case you'll still run into the sim's limitations even on the latest hardware.

Once either GPU prices normalize I'd be looking at Nvidia's Volta cards, or if Intel sorts out their Kernel problems this year, you might be able to pick up a CPU with high core speed.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:31 AM, elButz said:

I'd save up a little longer, as the GPU market has been influenced so heavily by cryptocurrency mining to where any GPU I would recommend is far off your 400$ price point. With the Meltdown Kernel bug on Intel I'd also advise you to stay on your old CPU and maybe - rather than upgrading - fiddle with your existing hardware to reach max stable OC's.

P3D has been getting - at least on my system - huge performance increases through increased clockspeeds which is why I would tend to stay with Intel over switching to Ryzen - except of course if the new ones have greater single core performance. For now Intel seems to still be king of the hill in terms of single core performance. 

Also maybe consider using lower GPU settings first, to see what performance you can get out of P3D. In any case you'll still run into the sim's limitations even on the latest hardware.

Once either GPU prices normalize I'd be looking at Nvidia's Vega cards, or if Intel sorts out their Kernel problems this year, you might be able to pick up a CPU with high core speed.

Yes prices have been crazy! I was thinking a GPU upgrade. Either a 1070 or 1080TI.

With your $400 target a 1080 Ti? I mean the card is nice but tbh, price to performance just for P3D is abysmal.

If you want to go for a GPU upgrade maybe prices will be more acceptable just after the Nvidia Volta launch (should be in may), I'd try and get one of the first Volta cards that are sold from whatever board partner you prefer.

On 1/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, elButz said:

With your $400 target a 1080 Ti? I mean the card is nice but tbh, price to performance just for P3D is abysmal.

If you want to go for a GPU upgrade maybe prices will be more acceptable just after the Nvidia Volta launch (should be in may), I'd try and get one of the first Volta cards that are sold from whatever board partner you prefer.

Just got the 1080 TI and I love it!