lionwing

LICJ - Installation

Good evening.

I have recently purchased a new computer.

When trying to install LICJ I get the following errors shown in the attached screenshots.

I note this problem has been raised before with a post in French but I unable to understand the solution to that users issue.

Thank you.

licj#1.jpg

licj#2.jpg

Thank you for the reply.

I did contact SimMarket with the following reply;

Hello,

It sounds like the RegisteredOwner registry value (which is the default user name) is blank or missing.

Windows setup demands that a user name be entered so someone has edited the registry value after installing the OS on this machine or it has been deleted by Microsoft during an upgrade to Windows 10 from an older Windows version.

To add the RegisteredOwner we suggest the following procedure, although we will not take responsibility for changing registry values, as our installer is only supported with a valid installation of Windows without registry modifications to that installation. 

1) Click Start, Run (Windows key + R) and type regedit, and then click OK. 

2) Navigate to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion

3) Backup the key by exporting it to a file from the top menu bar. If the menu bar isn't visible press the Alt key.

4) To change the name of the registered owner, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK. 

If there is no RegisteredOwner click on - edit - new- String Value - RegisteredOwner- OK. Double-click to fill in a name.

5) Click Exit on the File menu to quit regedit.

6) Restart your PC.

You can imagine I am hesitant to start editing the registry adding "Registered Owners" with unspecified text.  Further by making the edits to the registry SM indicate they cannot offer support.

Just doesn't seem right to me and perhaps a over complicated solution to a problem.