Sign in to follow this  
Ted_Striker

Censorship

I just read, in a very popular sim blog this morning, that their commenting feature has been turned off, due to people's "offensive" comments towards a particular developer's product.  I won't name names but I can say that this company is very high profile.  I find it interesting that this news, while it is for a blog, comes on the heels of certain issues that have arisen lately with respect to the very same developer.  It appears that if said developer has their own forum, they can censor.  If they have affiliate websites and/or blogs for their products and people condemn their practices, or just the products they create, the developer can cry foul and the website/blog own has no choice but to censor their site.

thought the internet wasn't a place of censure?  If you were a developer, wouldn't you want to know the good and the bad of your products so that you can either continue to do good or improve on the bad?  The internet is THE best place for advertising.  What better medium is out there that allows for someone to create something and show it off to the world?  It really bugs me now that we as common users, don't have the right to speak our mind, or at the very least, have an opinion towards things without being pressured to censure or disable the ability for our member, fans, visitors to contribute to conversation.  I can honestly say that for me, I respect anyone who creates things that I cannot, but at the same time, they should always be open to opinion and suggestion.  Now, while I came in at the middle of the film with regards to this particular website's issues with people's comments, i do find it disheartening that they pulled the plug instead of standing up for their own right to publish people's opinion.  So what if they lose sponsorship?  Who is really the bad guy in all of this? 

The way I see it, these people who run their site have become just as bad as the folks over at "the website that shall not be named"...if they don't like something, censor it or ban it for the sake of retaining a relationship to promote a business just to get a little kickback here and there.  Sponsorship has it's good and bad points.  On one hand, you have someone to help upkeep your site and return you publish news and advertisements for the sponsors products.  No one struggled or lost considerably when the Paula Deen issue went public?  She was dropped like a bad habit and everyone moved on, so tell me why a website feels the need to remove what I consider to be a very important feature for the sake of one developer wanting to save face?

The contradiction here though is that this website claims to approve any and all comments before publishing them (or so they did prior to the shutdown) so I would have to say that they created this golem and it's really their fault, not the people's comments.  I am sure there is plenty more to the story than what was published but the overall decision to eliminate the comment feature has put the website in a bad position.  If the website wanted to save face as well, they could have easily said that they were moving in a different direction and felt that eliminating the comment feature would help reclaim valuable time and resources to effectively run the site as a whole.

Just my two cents...

Interesting indeed. I too have come from the website-that-shall-not-be-named and part of the reason was the ridiculous censorship, bannings, and then lengthy excuses to try to justify things.

Re the blog - like you I am late to the film, in fact very late but 2 things strike me about this 1) at least 1 major contributor to the blog has just left leaving one person (as I understand it) with a whole lot of work to do to keep the fan base happy without even considering having to police the crap on the comments that people leave to try to start arguments. And then 2) if it's the developer that I'm thinking of then, from my observations, the blog is a bit 'heavy' on that developer's content. I leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

Oh, and while I'm having a rant the first site that I mentioned has changed the way the topic preview works. Again. Can they not leave anything alone for 2 seconds?

You forgot to mentioned about the WTSNBN...they rely heavily on content supplied by sponsorship of big named devs, obviously to cover the costs of server use and the like, but the problem I have can be liken to Metallica.  They had great music for so long and then they sold out and everything went downhill.  Statistics drive a website, but at the same time, one thing was overlooked:  quality or quantity?  They try to claim that they are the biggest and best website and that is their selling point to anyone wanting to join.  They of course, leave out the fact that they can get rid of you at anytime, even though they claim to care abou it's members and always want to hear if something goes awry...of course, when you do mention something wrong and it deals with someone who has been around or perhaps a member of a dev team, then YOU are at fault and guess what...BANNED.

As for the site I talked about as the main subject, so we all lose out on the opportunity to comment just because someone didn't like comments being made about their product.  Who knows, maybe those comments weren't so much attacks as they were comments about something that should have been put in place.  Think about it, when you buy something you want it to work, right?  If you buy something expensive, you REALLY want it to work right?  These devs are in such a hellfire hurry to release a product, so they do, and then everything else is damage control, which comes in the form of updates, but the question remains of when and THAT is a bone of contention with everyone.  You buy something, it doesn't work, and you have to wait, but you aren't told when updates will come so then you feel like you wasted your money...and the devs wonder why people get upset???

Oh, and about the one person running things...how is that our fault?

Hmmm, topic preview?  Not sure I know what you are referring to, but then again, if it deals with the WTSNBN, I am no longer a member there.

Like @TurboTomato said they just lost one member and right now its just a one man show. Running such a big blog is VERY time consuming and being just one person you don'y have time for any of the crap that goes on. I respect their decision as I can certainly understand it.....Lots of ignorant people out there.

Like @TurboTomato said they just lost one member and right now its just a one man show. Running such a big blog is VERY time consuming and being just one person you don'y have time for any of the crap that goes on. I respect their decision as I can certainly understand it.....Lots of ignorant people out there.

And what would happen if one day, you didn't have the ability to text anymore on your phone?  Point is, comment features on a website or blog, play a huge part in the lifeblood of a site.  It's kind of like the old-style "how are we doing" comment cards you would get in restaurants.  Feedback is essential, no matter if it's for the source site or for things being presented to the public through the source site.  Call me crazy, maybe I am wrong...I've been called both. :D

Agree with all that @iFlysimX

A blog is only as good as its content. At the moment that blog has very good content and the writer(s) clearly have hooks into a lot of devs to get updates and previews early. That keeps people reading and coming back. So if you're a dev you probably want to give that blogger content to get maximum exposure for your product. Problem is you can't control the content of the comments section, be it good, bad or blatant lies. So if you're a dev that's getting a lot of stick you may lever your position and suggest that updates and previews may not be so forthcoming should the comments not be properly controlled. So as the blogger you may well decide to remove the comments in light of this and the fact that his time is needed elsewhere, not moderating idiots on the internet.

Edit: that's not to say I agree with removing the comment feature, just trying to understand why it may have been done.

Not that I am trying to defend the little guys out there, but if you have an issue with something and you jump through the devs hoops the get a resolution and then never get a reply, what is the user to do?  They typically find out where else to vent frustrations, especially places they know the devs hang out.  Case in point, with the site that shall not be named, you would find a ton of folks' comments pertaining to issues that never get acknowledged so you have to respect the feelings of those who are just wanting an answer.  As I had not read every single comment within the post that ultimately led to the comment demise, I am pretty damned sure there were many who, after finding out the dev was part of the post, would ask questions pertaining to the issues with the product.  Yes granted, it was probably not the right venue to ask the questions, nor vent frustrations, but agian, the site owner allowed it...thus the golem was created.