iFlysimX

Which FSX Setting Impact FPS The Most??

From my experience, what makes my FPS drop the most is the water textures. If I push mine to 2xHigh or higher, fps drop to less than 25..and my rig is pretty good. I run an I7 with a P77z Asus MB,8GB Ram and an ATI HD6850 2GB graphics card.

From my experience, what makes my FPS drop the most is the water textures. If I push mine to 2xHigh or higher, fps drop to less than 25..and my rig is pretty good. I run an I7 with a P77z Asus MB,8GB Ram and an ATI HD6850 2GB graphics card.

So what do you have your water settings set to?

2x Low should be all that you need.  What I have heard about fps drops, water is the main culprit, and it doesn't matter whether you are flying over water or not.  It seems that the water "layer" in FSX always gets rendered regardless...guess it's a fault in the original programming.

In no particular order:

- Water refelections

- AI planes

- car traffic

- autogen

I keep Water reflections at 2x Low when flying tubeliners, no sense keeping reflections cause you can't see them, unless you on approach near the sea or lake, but again you don't have much time to look throught the window due to workload, checklists, ILS, AP, etc....

When I fly slow and low (VFR), or maybe float plane, I set WR to 2x High or Max to enjoy the view. :)

What are we REALLY trying to achieve in Flight Simulator?  Some of us want immersive realism, while others want to fly the sim for the aircraft experience and then that splits off into two categories, with one being those who want to fire up a plane, fly, land, accomplish and then the other being procedural flyers.  All in all, mileage will vary and THAT is dependent on what we all want as individuals.  I think my first statement needs to be thought about by every user before they set up their sim.  When you know what you really want, ignore the rest and concentrate on that goal.  For me personally, immersive flying helps maintain the sense of realism you can have in Flight Sim as well as setting up procedurals so the realism is maintained.  It can be difficult to achieve if you don't have a screaming machine, but making sacrifices and settling for what you can get can ease the mind and overall, you can still maintain a decent amount of realism for your flight.

These discussions about FPS, setups and "who does what" almost seem pointless these days since there is plenty of information online to help each and every one of us.  Nowadays, it almost seems like a competition to see who has the perfect setup, which we all know doesn't exist.  Again, when it comes to setting up Flight Simulator, there are so many other variables outside of just the sim itself, that no two machines will run the same, regardless of how hard we try.

For a lot of those out there who whine and complain about not being able to get one thing to work right, or having so many issues with a sim not functioning the way they want (and yet they still seem to not know what the want from the beginning), it can be funny at times when they reply to the question of "what are you running?"...usually they come back with "well I have this add-on and that add-on, blah, blah, blah"...which equates to about 15 different things and all the while their hardware can really only run internet and email.  Of course, it also doesn't help with all the deceptive advertising that goes on with devs showing off screenshots that you will never achieve, but somehow we are so drawn in that we make the purchase and then what happens?  We all become those whiny people complaining that they can't get add-on X to run...funny.

Let me leave you with one final thought and it has to do with my rig vs. what i run and the end result.  I KNOW I don't have the screaming machines that everyone else has here.  I have a gaming laptop, and as such, the hardware is pretty good.  I say that because I can run FSX with minor tweaks from Kosta plus a good setup through nvidia inspector and then run some ORBX scenery with Traffic 360 (at about 40% traffic settings).  My FPS hovers between 25-30 while flying a Carenado aircraft and my weather being set to an ORBX preset through FSX, not a third party.

A scenario I flew last night was Bozeman to Jackson Hole, smack dab in the middle of the Rockies.  The weather was rough (about 16kt cross winds) flying at dusk.  The flight was about 2 hours in my CT206.  With everything I mentioned above, my laptop held it's own with the 25-30fps which was smooth enough and clean enough to grab some amazing shots in flight.  Btw, i finally figured out my stutters were actually the result of gpu throttling due to heat.  I bought a cheap $9 stand for the laptop and I resolved that issue and the sim runs much better, but the key here is that my minimal tweaks, like the ones Kosta recommends are tried and true tweaks.  Trust me, he KNOWS what he is talking about folks!  Setting up the inspector settings were a piece of cake too, so with both of those sets of options taken care of, FSX runs very well.  I don't have my settings maxed out because I already know what my rig will do and I can live with that.

Yep, if you can live with what you have and if what you have runs fine, leave it be and enjoy the flight. :)

Ok, off my soapbox now.

Well' I had big issues when the *shadows cast on aircraft* was on.
Then I removed it, and the frame got 3-5 fps better.

The main problem is, that fsx have been created on a wierd way, so you can only run it with Windows x86 ... and not x64. (well you can run it in x64, but it wont change, anything from the x86).

For 3 years i've have tried to find a solution so it could run faster, and I have been in close correspondence with Microsoft, to fix this problem. But they didn't want to change anything... 

*Happy Landings! :)

Your mouse cursor being on screen and moving in FSX. I have checked htat and you loose a few fps from having your mouse in the screen during a flight, you can wait 5 seconds and gain free extra fps :)