Sign in to follow this  
Ted_Striker

PMDG: I Came, I Saw, I Caved

For those who know me, know that I WILL admit when I have made a mistake.  I am a human being and to be human means we CAN be wrong.

In response to a previous topic concerning the PMDG 777 rollout, I made some statements about how the hype over the release was out of hand, how the cost was way too much over previous releases (not to mention competitor's pricing as well), and lastly, PMDG's association with "the website that shall not be named.

I was going to hold off on this thread topic until after the weekend, but after what i did last night, I felt it necessary to clear the air now, rather than later, but I will update this thread with more after the weekend.

So here it goes:

In general, I take flight simulation seriously.  So serious, if you were to watch my reactions after a failure, no matter how big or small, you would probably laugh.  I DO get very frustrated when I am trying to achieve a goal, say for instance, learning the proper way to set up the CDU (or FMC as it is also called) and when I find a tutorial online, I follow it and realize that this tutorial is lacking so much that I wind up failing bigtime and not for the lack of trying,

I fired up my Captain Sim B757 last night, because I found what appeared to be a very good tutorial on programming the CDU/FMC.  I sat with my tablet in one hand and my other hand occupying the keyboard, slowly following the instruction and responding in kind to the instruction.  Long story short, I failed to program the CDU/FMC enough to get my aircraft to follow the flight plan...something to do with SIDs and STARs not properly added...don't ask.

Anywho, I closed out the sim, frustrated.  I returned to it, thinking this time i will try again with the B777.  Sure, I thought one CDU/FMC tutorial should be pretty universal and considering another tut I found was FOR the T7, I gave that go.  Well, I was wrong again, failure #2 for the noob.  Despite the fact that the tut was for the T7, again, someone failed to mention some important points, but at the same time, I realized one very important thing:  you get what you pay for.

Yes, I was trying to achieve professional flight with a budget aircraft.  As my stepson would say "epic fail!"

So, once again, I closed down my sim, took a break to collect my thoughts.  While doing so, one thought kept running through my head "maybe all that hype over the PMDG T7 has some substance to it?"

I returned to my computer, feeling like the failure I became and the next thing I knew, I was on PMDG's website, ready to input my payment information for the T7.

It was a shock to the wallet, but after download and installation, I did what any GOOD sim pilot would do...RTFM dude. :)

No, I have not yet flown the PMDG T7, but what I can say with 100% certainty, echoing the my previous statement, I FINALLY got what I paid for and I know I won't be disappointed.  While reading the intro, my head was immediately filled with good knowledge.  PMDG has always had a reputation of not disappointing, and rightfully so, as they work with Boeing...can't get any closer than that.

The information contained in the manuals is EXACTLY what I need and while some would say "just read their publications and apply it to what you already had", well that won't work.  Again, what is in print directly relates to what you are using.  If previous models made by others are not designed, coded, programmed to accept what is in print, well there's your problem right there!

To conclude my long-winded entry, I am confident that for what I want, PMDG will deliver.  There is a lot of information to cover and plenty of tutorial goodness supplied by guys who make a living giving it to us.  I applaud PMDG for what they created and will surely give a standing ovation after my first successful flight, but I'm in no hurry ans I know I am in good company.  My computer WILL get a workout, but it'll be well worth it in the end.

before I end this, I want to shout out to Kosta...dude, PMDG mentioned you in the intro, good job!  For what it's worth, everything you have done has NOT been for naught, PMDG recognizes you for your good deeds, despite the lashing you received "at that other place".

I've always been tempted by payware aircraft but have never bitten the bullet. Get so little time to sim I need something I can just fire up and roll out to the active, so freeware stuff does the job just fine. Also, I read about OOMs and system stability and the like and I just don't get those sorts of problems despite having plenty of other add ons.

As I mentioned before, I would give an update to my PMDG 777 experience.  I waited until yesterday morning to start an uninterrupted session as I knew this would need my undivided attention.  I fired up a flight per the tutorial and ran through it pretty easily, although a couple of the settings in my FMC were slightly different.  unfortunately, I became a little too curious and pushed a couple of buttons that I shouldn't have which caused the L2 Door to open and it took me all of 20 minutes to figure out how to close it before departure!

Once again, I missed the mark when I planned this flight.  it may have had to do with my runway assignment but long story short, I took off in the opposite direction of the flightplan so i never captured route.  Needless to say, all I did was a straight climbout, which the 777 did do a step climb and acceleration with respect to v/s worked just fine.  Well the horror finally hit me when I decided to end the flight and start over.  After ending the flight, my computer crashed...hard.  I guess it was a OOM as I got the fatal error message from FSX.  When I tried to fire fsx back up, she wouldn't load up at all as it would get stuck at the startup screen.  I deleted my fsx.cfg file (begrudgingly), and had a new one get created but even that didn't work.  Needless to say, SOMETHING totally screwed up fsx.

It was time for a clean reinstall of my OS anyways, so I did that and about 3-4 hours later I was back up to where I could install fsx again.  I did my tweaks (what little I do) and only loaded up a couple of add-ons, which included the Carenado C90 and of course, the PMDG 777.  I started a test flight with the C90 as I needed to test out my low and slow capabilities.  As i had also installed FTX Australia, I was kinda in the mood for a scenic flight so I headed to Alice Springs and started up a flight.  Fortunately, my flight (being a long one from Alice Springs to Broome) went uneventful in the OOM department.  While I used FSX weather (lots of clouds, no wind) and flew for a couple of hours, varying from normal flight to slewing, landing the plane and ended the flight.  I was able to get back to the main menu and close out FSX without any crash.

may know what caused the crash the other day but won't be 100% until this evening when i fire up the lucky lady.  Hopefully all goes well.

Oh yeah, in terms of navigating around the 777 cockpit and setting her up from a cold and dark scenario...no issues.  The claims of smoother and more fluid movement in the cockpit was spot on so i will thank PMDG for fixing that.  The usage of the FMC was a lot easier with the integrated keyboard usage (don't feel like a dork having to press those tiny buttons).  The soundsets and the visual model are stunning to say the least.

Here's hoping for a more successful flight tonight. :)

Uncheck it in the scenery library before you start a flight. Also make sure you have uiautomationcore.dll in fsx root folder, let the windows manage the size of swap file, aaaand there is another tweak related to windows heap something something. I will find the link and paste it here. Aaaaaaaaand you try DX10 mode, it it prone to OOMs, alredy tested and proven by simmers. Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Already have the uiautomationcore.dll installed, per PMDG's recommendation.  I don't use DX10, again because of recommendations from PMDG and I hear too many folks having issues running it with other payware, so I don't need the added headache.

As for the scenery...duh, I never even looked for the checkmarks...guess that's all there is to it.  I take it that it's ok to leave the default scenery alone and just uncheck the add-ons, right?

No OOMs?  I am sure my system is much less powerful than yours so would I still see an advantage?  I have an nvidia card which uses the nvidia inspector and I have a lot of settings set in it to help.  Where can I find this shader pack you speak of?

Sorry, to be clear, I'm not running the T7 or any other payware aircraft but I am running DX10. My point was that I have plenty of other add-ons so it could seem to be complex aircraft that push FSX over the edge into OOMs. I have Steve's DX10 fixes - you can get them from TWSTSNBN library and via the DX10 forum.

Well that rules that out...I can no longer access that website, for obvious reasons.  I'll have to play everything by ear right now, maybe the scenery turn off will help enough to avoid the OOMs.  Strangely enough after flying for over 2 hours with ORBX Australia all loaded and a payware aircraft, I didn't have an OOM...I half suspect my issue before was the huge amount of scenery combined with a 3rd party weather generator Activesky.

Thanks for the assistance though!

Last night, I got back on the horse and loaded up the T7 for another go.  Firstly, I went ahead and deactivated all of the ORBX Australia scenery I had and went ahead and loaded up a flight.  While programming the FMC, FSX bombed and then reloaded.  Went through the motions again and before I could even get started in the cockpit, FSX died again.  Scratching the head, I was reminded of the option to go DX10, but I pressed on once more.  This time, after loading the aircraft, everything was fine.  i was successful in pre-flight, and I took off.  Yeah, this time everything was much much better.  I was able to follow my flightplan from the get go and I began the long trek of the tutorial flight from VRMM to OMDB.  Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time in the eve to fly and choosing this long haul probably wasn't the greatest idea, but it DID show me what happens when you fly too long over water.  About 3 instances of FSX freezing occured, but I believe I can attribute that to what PMDG stated in the manual about it, but then again maybe not.  What was wierd is that the sim would freeze, my laptop would get quiet and then about 3 minutes later, it came back to life.  The last time it occured was probably me pushing things a little far as I tried out the time compression feature through the FMC.  While it is nice to use this, I realized it is exactly the same as the FSX in-game time compression so basically, PMDG just programmed that into the FMC and I understand why.  I believe what they are trying to do is minimize the amount of upper menu access during a flight so programming it in the FMC eliminates the need to use the menu and favor the FMC.

In any case, I got about half-way through the flight and went ahead and aborted.  I was taken back to the main screen with no OOM or fatal error.  I won't say that I have stabilized the sim, but it seems to run fine.  I may still try out the DX10 option to see if the sim runs more stable.  One good thing is that during the flight, I held 30fps and camera transitions within the cockpit still worked very smooth.