Sign in to follow this  
iFlysimX

Autogen Settings

For airports, visually, it is all based on your resolution.  Flytampa and Flightbeam for example, are best viewed at 4096x4096, but if your system cannot handle that, you can go to 2048x2048 which should still give you good quality.  Autogen is more for how much of something is generated, like trees, houses, buildings, etc.  turning your Autogen down can help with sim performance but should not affect visual quality as that is driven by the above mentioned resolution settings.  By default fsx sets your resolution at 1024x1024 (even 512x512 if you don't have a separate video card) and this is driven by what the sim interprets your hardware can handle.  You can always tweak higher resolutions but be aware that your performance can suffer.  I have a mid-ranged video card (nVidia GT650) in my laptop while running fsx and I can say that it will run 4096x4096 for Flightbeam's KIAD, and with that, running PMDG's 747-400X and Traffic360 with Activesky 2012 on top of it all, my system can churn out 22-25fps which is still not bad for flying...

You probably asking this because of OOM on Twitch last night? :D
T7 uses more memory than 737NGX + Global + AiTraffic + Addon Airport = OOM. And 737NGX uses much memory already!

I heard that Scenery Complexity on Very Dense (instead on Extremely Dense) cures OOMs. Try it, you don't have nothing to lose. Also keep Autogen Density below Extremely Dense.

Also LOD_RADIUS=4.500000 is a must when flying an airliner!

Keep your AITraffic % on low values (20-40%).

I wonder if indeed, turning off unused airports helps other than with the loading times?

btw, I'm using scenery config editor to group certain sceneries for super quick disable/enable.

btw, hello to everyone! I just registered. :)

Just turning off unused scenery in general helps a lot.  I don't mess with the default scenery in FSX, just add-ons.  My T7 flies much better...now if only I can get the hang of programming my FMC correctly, I wouldn't have any more issues. :)

hmm... what do you mean? how can you be sure which default sceneries are ok to disable?

I know that some addons utilize the default scenery they cover as a base or something.. the point is, some base sceneries are required.

untick them in the scenery library. And you shouldnt disable default sceneries, but If I usually only fly in the US, and I have a Heathrow addon, and an Oslo airport addon, disabling those in the scenery library should speed up load times. 

I don't know if disabling sceneries helps with fps at all. I dont really think so. I tried this for a while, but didn't feel I gained anything from it after a couple of weeks of doing this. 

I concur with Ted_striker.....

Here is something else I discovered with FSX...that is to limit you autogen in the cfg. I.e. 1800 buildings and 1500 to 2000 trees per tile. ( the default settings are a lot higher). And max ( full right your slider. Here's the reason and theory:

When we mess with the autogen General slider in the default state we are telling FSX to only put forth a percentage of the max. This than causes FSX to decide out of the pool ..so it's working to scurrying through the autogen textures, thus causing the vas to increase because every calculation is not the same. However, if you limit in the cfg to a lower value than the default and max your slider...that's it FSX does not works as busyily thus affording efficiency of VAS Usage because the threshold has now been reduced to a new constant.

To you original question, in some scenery like Heathrow extended I've seen full body of the scenery with the autogen max than I did when I had it set at midpoint.

So if your in the airroute for better VAS performance whilst maintain the max benefit of your addons, look to reset your autogen within the cfg to a lower threshold

Cheers

These two lines doesn't have ANY effect in FSX SP2 (or Acc). They work only prior to SP2. I've tested it.

That's odd because if I use the default settings I get a heavier vas usages and see greater autogen. ( using acceleration)