Sign in to follow this  
Calum Martin

Aerosoft Bergen X Airport (ENBR) Review

enbr_cover.jpg

Aerosoft are certainly no stranger to the airport of Norway. Often created because of their fantastic, magical and scenic approaches, it’s no surprise Aerosoft have taken on Bergen. As the second busiest airport in Norway, after Oslo, of course, Bergen sees a range of airline traffic. Everything from Cargo operations and domestic flights to long haul international flights. The diversity available for simmers around the world is one of the many compelling reasons to visit this airport.

Bergen Airport, situated in Hordaland in Norway, shares its home with several airlines including Norwegian, SAS and Bergen Air Transport. With nearly 3000m worth of runway available, aircraft of all sizes can visit the airport, with some of the largest being an A340-300. Even with heavy aircraft and the fullest of loads, the length of runway will ensure a safe landing. In 2013, the airport saw over 6m passengers, flying to 50 destinations across the Globe. For a small regional, Norwegian airport, it sees a lot of activity – enticing even the most casual of Simmers.

enbr_1.jpg  enbr_2.jpg

enbr_3.jpg  enbr_4.jpg

enbr_5.jpg  enbr_6.jpg

enbr_7.jpg  enbr_8.jpg

enbr_9.jpg  enbr_10.jpg

enbr_11.jpg  enbr_12.jpg

enbr_13.jpg  enbr_14.jpg

enbr_15.jpg  enbr_16.jpg

enbr_17.jpg  enbr_18.jpg

enbr_19.jpg  enbr_20.jpg

One of my favourite features of Bergen X is the inclusion of a configuration tool. Although this should be a standard feature, the number of options to help with performance is amongst the most detailed I have ever seen. Everything from the texture resolution, to the quality of the trees is editable. Even minute details such as runway marking colours can be configured to your desire. (white = current and realistic or yellow = previous colour and often associated with Norwegian airports). Instances such as these separate the developers from other airport designers out there. In flight simulation there isn’t a “one-size fits all” and options such as these allow everyone to enjoy the scenery.

Once you’re all configured and you step into the Sim, the first thing you’ll immediately notice is the dominant blue terminal building. Despite its basic properties and dull-looking colours, it’s going to stick with you and become instantly recognisable. This is certainly helped by its fantastic modelling work, and excellent texturing. Even on the lower resolution, the entire building is detailed right down to the last screw. Taking a closer look, you’ll actually notice that the inside of the terminal buildings are also fully rendered too. The glass windows add an extra dimension whilst prepping your flight deck ready for departure.

enbr_21.jpg  enbr_22.jpg

enbr_23.jpg  enbr_24.jpg

enbr_25.jpg  enbr_26.jpg

enbr_27.jpg  enbr_28.jpg

enbr_29.jpg  enbr_30.jpg

enbr_31.jpg  enbr_32.jpg

enbr_33.jpg  enbr_34.jpg

enbr_35.jpg  enbr_36.jpg

enbr_37.jpg  enbr_38.jpg

enbr_39.jpg  enbr_40.jpg

Something else that adds to the realism of the airport is the 3D passengers moving around the airport. With very little frame rate lost from enabling it, I’m surprised more developers aren’t doing it too. It helps to make everything feel like a ‘complete’ package. Unsurprisingly, they’re not the most realistic looking models, nor the most detailed, but in relation to what their purpose is here, it suits the airport perfectly.

The airport itself has been wonderfully recreated. Capturing that typical “Norwegian” feel as you approach the shore-lined airport. The approach lights, the runway details and the taxiway signs are all sharp and correct – just as you would expect from Aerosoft. The quality is as impeccable as Oslo V2 – which is saying something. Without a doubt, the developer has nailed the worn-effect of these weather-beaten runways, the dirty grass verges between the taxiways and the weathered effects on the terminal buildings. Each structure is eye-candy and you’ll have to be careful to not verge close to them during taxiing just to get a better view of the detail put into them.

One common issue I keep having with scenery currently, is the lack of detail for the ‘landside’ areas. I appreciate in flight simulation, we mostly stick to what we see ‘airside’ – after all, this is where we fly. However, the texture resolution and level of detail lacks quite desperately. Perhaps in an attempt to save on performance, or reduce development time, maybe? Either way, for all of the great looking features of Bergen, it does fall short. The satellite imagery of the car park with blocky 3D cars just hinder what would have been a perfect airport for your collection.

enbr_41.jpg  enbr_42.jpg

enbr_43.jpg  enbr_44.jpg

enbr_45.jpg  enbr_46.jpg

enbr_47.jpg  enbr_48.jpg

enbr_49.jpg  enbr_50.jpg

enbr_51.jpg  enbr_52.jpg

enbr_53.jpg  enbr_54.jpg

enbr_55.jpg  enbr_56.jpg

enbr_57.jpg  enbr_58.jpg

During the course of the review, I came across the dreaded micro-stutter. Now, believe me when I say that I have tried everything to rid my micro-stutters before commencing this review. I know it’s a highly detailed airport near a lot of auto-generated trees and foliage. However despite my best efforts of turning the sliders down, turning off the intensive settings in the configuration menu and also switching off auto-gen, I still managed to have micro-stutters occur. To make sure it wasn’t my system, I tried a variety of airports in various locations and none of them caused me much issue. Let me iterate that the micro-stutters were few and far between – nothing to really ruin your experience. Frustrating? Yes. Unflying and unenjoyable? Most certainly not. [N.B. You can see my specs down at the bottom]

Bergen was everything I had come to expect from the creative minds at Aerosoft. It is detailed, highly accurate and, for the most part, performance friendly. It’s user-friendly configurator really ensures that everyone can enjoy the scenery to the best of their hardware. A beautiful airport, in a beautiful destination certainly puts it at the top of my radar. Bergen X is certainly value for money and an airport I find myself visiting over and over again.

enbr_should_i_buy.png

4/5  |  Publisher: Aerosoft  |  Developer: Aerosoft |  Price: 17.95EUR

Aerosoft have yet to let me down with their airport sceneries. Bergen X is certainly no exception and proves that Aerosoft really know what they’re doing. Norway was a region that has been neglected up until now and suddenly we’re spoilt for choice! Despite some issues which hampen the experience slightly, Bergen X is a solid purchase with a lot of options to keep systems across the board happy.

+ Great rendition of a beautiful and scenic airport.

+ Huge amount of customisation for any system.

- Some issues with micro-stutters that appear related to the airport.

- Impressive detail stops once you look 'landside' of the airport.

Purchase Aerosoft's Bergen X here.

My Specs: 

Processor - 3.5GHz Intel Core i5-3770K Ivy Bridge (OVERCLOCKED TO 4.8GHz)
RAM - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 12800)
GPU - GeForce GTX 780 FTW 3GB GDDR5
Mother Board - ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Hard Drives - 2 x 128gb OCZ SSD + 2 x 1tb 7200RPM HDD
Operating System - Windows 7 (64-bit)

Add-ons Used In Screenshots: 

Scenery – Aerosoft's Bergen X (ENBR)

Aircraft – Aerosoft’s Airbus A320, PMDG 737NGX
Utilities - REX4 Textures, FS Global Real Weather, SteveFX DX10 Fixer (Also tested with DX9), FTX Global, FTX Vector, 
ORBX's FTX Global openLC Europe

Sign in to follow this